Friday, May 15, 2009

Vertically Challenged...

Well, I went last Wed. for my routine 32-week Dr.'s appointment. I felt morning when I got up. Not great, but not horrible. Anyway, Alan took the girls to school while I showered and got ready to go. When he got back, I drove myself to the doctor. I parked the car, got out and walked in, sat down in one of the chairs in the waiting room after signing in... and promptly felt like I was going to pass out. I felt myself growing hot from my feet to the top of my head and breaking out in a clammy sweat. The room started to go black with lovely purple and neon yellow splashes of color. I managed to get the attention of one of the other ladies in the waiting room who asked if I was okay. I said.."um no" and then was out like a light. She got the nurses and they bathed my face and neck w/ a cool cloth and broke some kind of ammonia capsule under my nose which popped me out of it quickly! Anyway, long story short...they ended up calling Alan to come get me and sending us to the hospital for monitoring. NOT great timing considering we were supposed to have met with the lawyers at 3 p.m. for the closing on our refinancing of the house. Alan ran around town collecting our various children from schools, picked up my mom who went back to get my car which had been left at the clinic, and dumped Mom and the girls off at home before heading to the hospital. We were there for about 5 hours during which time I was hooked up to fetal monitors and blood pressure monitors. They drew blood and did oxygen saturation tests. Then they shot me full of dye and ran a CT scan to look for possible blood clots. It was NOT a fun "Mommy day." After all of that, all of the tests came back normal with the exception of my sodium and iron levels being slightly low. Basically I had every symptom of high blood pressure (dizziness, shortness of breathe, headaches, nausea, swelling) w/o actually having high blood pressure. (Mine was 114/70 compared to my norm of about 100/60.) So...we were sent home and I was essentially told to sit on my rear and do as little as possible for the next seven weeks and not to drive unless I absolutely have to. Well...with two kids at two different schools and a hubby who works 12-hour shifts, that's not exactly feasible. *sighs*

1 comment:

overactive-imagination said...

So good to see you back! It's been a loooong time girl! Thanks for stopping by. Yes, I'm a grammy, can you believe it? I love it though. I guess you could also tell that I finished my RN degree and am working in a Pediatric ER, I've been there for almost a year now and absolutely LOVE it!
Can't wait to see updated pics of the girls and YAY! another baby on the way! Woot. Hope all is well...Sorry for the long comment. :o)