Tuesday, April 12, 2005

And the Cow Says.... MOOooooo

Okay, so did you ever have one of those days where no matter how many outfits you drag out of your closet, shake the wrinkles out of, and throw over your head...absolutly nothing looks or fits right? I'm usually pretty easy-going when it comes to what I'm wearing...I don't spend a lot of time stressing over "the perfect outfit." All I ask is to A) look my age, B) look my size, and C) be comfortable in what I'm wearing. I really don't think that is too much to ask from the clothes that I probably paid too much for in the first blinkin' place. Now if only things actually worked out that way. Of course, being pregnant hasn't helped my wardrobe out much either. In case you haven't noticed...maternity clothes...the good ones that don't look like they were made by Omar the Tent-Maker... are expensive. Then if you've been fortunate enough to experience more than one pregnancy...you probably don't want to wear the same maternity clothes the second (or third) time around that you did the first or second time. Generally by the time that 9 months is over, most women are so sick of maternity clothes they want to burn them. Most of us suffice to pass them along to a friend or make a nice charitable donation to Goodwill or a women's shelter. Anyway, my point is that I am once again forced to wear maternity clothes, and being that this is my third (and last) pregnancy, I don't want to go out and spend a fortune on a wardrobe that I'm going to wear for 9 months and then want to see go up in smoke. I bought two new pair of long pants in basic black and khaki, and acquired a pair of denim shorts and black capri's from a friend. I have several t-shirt type tops that are fine for lounging around the house in, but as far as dressing for dinner, or doctor's appointments, or just going "out" in general I only have two shirts that fit the bill. I prefer the kind that tie in back...more adjustable and figure flattering (if that's even a possibility at this point). LOL I did order two more tops today that should be here by Friday...thank God! Okay, now I will get to the "punchline" of this whole background segment.

I was getting ready to go out to dinner with friends one night last week and I had on a my khaki pants. Well.. the peasant-type blouse I normally wear with those pants was in the washing machine, soaking wet. So my only other option was this almost sleeveless black and white print toile blouse. I put it on and made the mistake of facing the mirror (full-length mind you). Completely irritated, feeling nauseous, and thouroughly disgusted by this point I loudly exclaimed "I look like a big freakin' cow!" and ripped the shirt off while I stormed around looking for SOMETHING more suitable.

I survived the ordeal and the next day, while I was digging in my closet I found that pair of black capri pants that my friend had passed along to me. Well, I put the same black and white toile shirt on with those pants and it actually looked pretty nice! I was pleased....that is...until I walked out of my bedroom and down the hall. Upon seeing me, my three year old immediately looks shocked and says... "but MOMMY...I thought you didn't WANT to be a cow!!!" (Thanks a lot.) But then...I guess I had that one coming. However..I was totally unprepared for the reaction of my 18 month old. She had been asleep during all the excitement the night before and was clueless to any of the previous drama that had unfolded. So imagine my shock when I went to her room to get her...and she waddles up to the baby gate to greet me...not with a smile...not with a mama....but with a large, enthusiastic..... MOOOOOOoooooo. That was it. Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed!

2 comments:

Greg said...

MOOOOoooo! j/k.

(This is Ben.) ;)

Sydney will respond later... we read your post together.

I can't believe it! 2 DAYS IN A ROW!

Alison said...

LOL! I'm sure that you don't really look like a cow!

Look at it this way, at 18 months, my daughter didn't associate cow and mooooo. At least she knows what the cow says. :)

Kids are so funny!

And I totally understand the tie in the back thing with maternity clothes. They do appear to fit better that way. :)

How far along are you?