Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Circle of Life

Continuing with my "this has been a really difficult week" theme, we had to attend a funeral Sunday afternoon. Funerals in general are not typically pleasant experiences, but this one was made more tragic because it was to honor the life and mourn the death of a child. A six month old baby to be exact. Although my husband and I are not extremely close to the particular members of the family, familial duty saw to it that we attend - which we did. The saddest thing to me...other than seeing that tiny white coffin...was seeing the childs' other brothers and sisters. He was one of a set of quintuplets who seemed to take on all the illnesses and problems that preemies sometimes experience in order to spare the other four any hardships. He never breathed "room air" on his own, experienced multiple surgeries, and never got to leave the hospital. The poor little guy had just taken all he could. The comfort is in knowing that God has another little angel by His side.

1 comment:

Alison said...

That must have been difficult to attend. I can't imagine. I thank God every day that he blessed me with a beautiful, healthy daughter.

I can't imagine being in those parent's place -- having quints and worrying every moment about them all, loving them, and praying you never have to attend the funeral of any of them. God bless them and be with them in this difficult time.