Saturday, June 11, 2005

Baby Mozart...Great! Baby Picasso? Not so Much!

The day started off in a nice calm..NORMAL manner. Cat woke up first and came and crawled in bed with me. Ash woke up about 15 minutes later, observed that her Daddy was working today, and decided she was hungry. So I get out of bed and go to the kitchen to make some strawberry and blueberry muffins. Yum! 15 minutes in the oven and they are done. Called Alan, he came by to grab a few. The girls were settled at the kitchen table eating muffins, munching on the remainder of the KIX cereal they started while the muffins were cooking, and drinking their milk. They were content. Everything was as it should be. I quickly ate two muffins and drained the last of my own milk from my glass. Then I started thinking. I guess that was my first mistake. "Surely," I thought "surely since they are SO content, I can take 5 minutes to throw on my clothes...and maybe even get to pee without their company if I'm quick." Ever the prevenative mom, I looked around the kitchen to double check things just in case. All the knives were out of reach, light sockets covered, dishes put away...no spillables around, cabinets locked with the child-safety locks, storm door latched, etc. I then proceeded to err on the side of caution and went down the landing into the den where I made sure the computer desk drawer was locked, the chair pushed up, the computer off, and the basket of pens WAY up high out of reach. Satisfied that the immediate area was childproof, I proceeded down the hall to my bedroom where I dressed and made that oh so necessary trip to the bathroom. As I finished up and headed towards the bedroom door on my return trip, a familar smell teased my nostrils. "Hmm...strange. I know that smell..." I thought to myself. "It smells...like...like...OH $^*&! It smells like MAGIC MARKER!!!!" I run down the hall and all I can do is stare in horror at my kitchen. My NEW KITCHEN that we have not even made the first payment on yet. My NEW KITCHEN that we have only been in possession of for less than a week. There was black marker all over the new fridge, the lineoleum floor, the cabinet doors, a portion of the wall, even on the air vent. Identifying the culprit was not difficult, because Ash too was covered...her hands, mouth, chin, legs, toes, and outfit. Oh, and not only was the marker black, it was one of those PERMANANT KING markers that we used to label boxes when we packed. I have no idea where she found it since I have not seen one since we moved. I grabbed the offending object and threw it straight into the trash can. My next and last rational thought for a while was to get the kids out of my line of view before I murdered them. So I angrily dispensed them to their separate rooms and slammed the door. Then I phoned Alan who after having seen the damage for himself couldn't understand how I ALLOWED that to happen. Gee...I guess I'm just supposed to cross my legs and hold it for 12 hours until he gets home to watch the girls while I pee. After the initial shock wore off he realized that it was, in fact, NOT my fault. He made a quick dash to Walmart in search of something that would take off this PERMANANT marker that is made to NOT come off. Hmmm. I should have taken before and after pictures...but at the time I was too mad to see straight. Anyway, thanks to a wonderful product aptly named "OOPS" and a bit of elbow grease, we managed to restore our kitchen to its former glory and both our kids are still alive. I can't wait until naptime!

2 comments:

Alison said...

So glad to hear that something would help get it off. :)

I'll remember OOPS. How is it that they always find something to destroy?

Greg said...

LOL.

Mr. Clean Magic cleaner is great for this as well.

;)