Monday, June 27, 2005

Bathtub Bloopers

Bathtime has become a strange and major event in our daily schedule. We eat dinner and as soon as the kids are done, they excuse themselves from the table and immediately begin stripping! Naked children run rampant around my house while I clear the table and load the dishwasher. Meanwhile, Alan runs bathwater, rounds up the bathtub toys, and collects clean clothes to re-dress the rugrats in after their baths. After resounding demands for "bubble bath" and asking about 50 times whether they can get in the tub yet, I'm finally done with the kitchen and ready to bathe them. The girls pile into the tub, divvy up the bathtub toys, and fight for ownership of the most bubbles. I am reminded of a poem by Shell Silverstein that goes as follows:
There are too many kids in this tub.
Too many elbows to scrub.
I just washed a behind,
That I'm sure wasn't mine.
There are too many kids in this tub!

Anyway, after entering the tub 4 immediately starts squirting 2 with water, while 2 loudly demands to be made into a "teletubby." (Which means that when I wash her hair I have to make sure to bring it all into a soapy point ontop of her head at least once.) I have gotten into the habit of teaching the girls silly songs while they are in the tub. Mostly as a distraction so that I can bathe them quickly with the least amount of water-damage done to my own person. Anyway, after having successfully learned "twinkle star" and "the sunshine song," I introduced them to "London Bridge" this week. 4 has it down pretty well and was actually singing it to herself yesterday...mostly in tune. She did really well until right at the end. This is when I realized that perhaps the bathroom acoustics are not as great as I had once thought. I have recently noticed that it tends to phonetically distort consonant sounds when we sing. How did I discover this? Well, as I said before...4 was singing "London Bridge" quite flawlessly until the very last line when she proudly and loudly ended the tune with a resounding " MY BARE LADY!"

2 comments:

Greg said...

The question becomes... can a bare lady still be a fare lady? lol.

Rosa* said...

Depends on how you spell fair/fare and whether she's a lady or a lady of the night! LOL