Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Laughing at the Little Things

Since Alan is at work, I'm just kinda taking it easy around the house. I can't unpack much unless what I need is ontop of the pile because I'm not allowed to lift or move the boxes. Anyway, I'm just doing the little things...laundry, dishes...vacuuming the carpets (which strangely I'm enjoying). When we moved and set up the girls' rooms, we moved our almost two-year old, Ash, into a regular twin bed and out of the baby bed. We put one of the safety rails up to keep her from falling out, but there is still about a one foot gap at the head and foot of the bed where she can crawl in and out. So now rather than me coming to get her out of bed in the mornings when I wake up, she comes to get me. (Her sister, Cat, usually sleeps about an hour longer than Ash does). This morning I was sleeping deeply, having fallen back asleep after Alan got up to leave around 5 am, when all of the sudden I feel a tug on my hair. I grab it and pull back thinking it must have gotten caught on something (what exactly, I don't know...but then I'm never really rational when I'm asleep.) Then it happened again -- only this time the tug was accompanied by a tiny little voice. "Mommy...wake up. Peeezze...I hungy." I opened my eyes to find Ash standing there all fuzzy headed and bright-eyed, holding a fist-full of my hair...apparantly ready for breakfast. I got up and baked strawberry muffins and sat down with her to eat. She chattered happily the entire time we were sitting there. Alan came in to grab a quick bite, and she was singing when he walked in the door. Of course you could only understand about every third word, but it was SO cute. He asked her what she was singing and she said "Shunshine." You know..the one that goes "you are my sunshine, my only sunshine...." Then after her sister woke up and joined us, Cat would name an animal and Ash would immediate chime in with the appropriate noise. It just cracked me up!

1 comment:

Alison said...

Ash sounds like she's close in age to my daughter (she'll be 2 in August). I love this age. I've been thinking about moving her to a twin bed before this baby arrives, but she tosses and turns so much in her sleep that I'm afraid she'll roll off. :)