Thursday, June 23, 2005

Favourite Childhood Cartoon Meme

Okay, here are my 5 favourite cartoons that I watched as a kid:

  1. Jem and the Rockers - a Barbie-type character, only much much cooler. She went by Jerrica during the day, and performed as Jem (the lead singer of Jem and the Rockers) by night. She also had the responsibilty of playing the heroine and fixing the problems caused by a rival chick band called the Misfits. Jerrica could communicate with this hologram named Synergy (I think...although my mind is pulling the name Dance from my memory bank as well) by pressing on her star-shaped earrings. In an emergency, Jerrica would have to disappear and morph ...a la Clark Kent/Superman style...into Jem to prevent some tragic disaster. The frequent disappearance confused the heck out of her sexy as hell but not too bright boyfriend. I think his name was Rico.
  2. Gummi Bears - "Gummi Bears...bouncing here and there and everywhere..." I don't remember a whole lot about this cartoon other than there were a lot of little do-gooder bears who gained extra strength by drinking Gummi Berry Juice. There was a Grams bear, Grumpy Bear, and a little yellow bear with a funky hair do named Sunny.
  3. My Little Ponies - Once again, the point/plot of this cartoon escapes my memory. I only remember something about a lot of fancy ponies with rainbow colored manes and tails. The girl in the cartoon was called Megan, and her personal pony's name was Sundance. I had the figurines of both of those along with several other ponies and the My Little Pony Stable/Castle.
  4. Care Bears - Now this was a truly great cartoon. I'm so glad they have revived them and my daughters are now crazy about them. (In fact I'm in the middle of stitching a cross-stitch Care Bear picture to go in my soon-to-be-born daughter's room.) Each cartoon had a moral to teach and good always defeated evil in the end. The cast of characters include: Grumpy Bear, Cheer Bear, Friendship Bear, Good Luck Bear, Birthday Bear, Funshine Bear, Tenderheart Bear, Wish Bear, Love-a-Lot Bear, Share Bear, Grams, Baby Hugs and Baby Tugs (the boy and girl baby twin bears), and then of course all their Care Bear Cousins - Bright Heart Raccoon, Brave Heart Lion, Swift Heart Rabbit, and MANY more.
  5. Rainbow Bright - Another unique character. The girl with the long blonde locks, a purple star on her cheek, and rainbow striped arms and legs. She had these little furry friends with star-shaped antennae called Sprites, and she frequently traveled on the back of a white stallion w/ a rainbow mane. Rainbow Bright and her colorful friends spent most of the episodes battling a villian whose name eludes me. The villian hated/feared color and tried to make the whole world all dark and gloomy. Rainbow and company's job was to restore color and cheerfulness. Yeah, sounds sappy...but as a 5 year old girl (future art student no less)...I thought it was the best!

2 comments:

Greg said...

You watched girly cartoons. ;)

Alison said...

Well, obviously, I remember Jem. :)

I forgot about the Gummi Bears! I used to watch them too. The grandmother bear had that scratchy voice. That's one that I remember most of the theme song to. :)

I don't remember watching My Little Ponies, but I remember owning them. I had a bunch of them.

I don't remember watching Care Bears either, but I did have a book about a kid who got his tonsils out, and the care bears helped him so that he wasn't scared. I wanted to get my tonsils out so that the care bears would come visit me. I also owned several care bears.

My grandmother had a Rainbow Brite movie. She went on some adventure because someone stole her rainbow or something. She met another little boy who had a metal robotic horse or something. I remember bits and pieces of the movie. I'll have to see if she still has it. My daughter would probably love it. I had the green friend of Rainbow Brite's.